Monday, January 08, 2007

Loving

Bob and I acquired a cat about 3 1/2 months ago. Neither of us had ever had a cat. I grew up with having dogs around. Bob never had any pets. We still shake our heads and wonder how we got to this place.

I remember hearing my mom especially talk about "those d!*! cats" people around us might have. And I remember my parents and grandparents didn't like cats leaning in on their ankles and meowing when we were around them. Now I love that!

I can remember when Bob first brought this cat home, Springfield had tar matted on some of his fur and in his ears, and he had big ears compared to the rest of his body. I felt bad for this little ball of fur that appeared to be scared to death, but I had no sudden love for this cat.

We have had moments where we would have gotten rid of Springfield in a heartbeat. He has zoomed around knocking things over like a wild cat. He has crashed lamps to the floor. He has rearranged Bob's village pieces in the bookcase. That is a No-No! He has knocked the planter over scattering dirt all over the new carpet.

But somewhere along the line, we have grown to love this cat. He is funny and sweet and loving and smart and also mean as can be sometimes. He has scratched me repeatedly until I bleed, I suspect I am allergic to him as I sneeze like crazy in the mornings and at night, I have had to learn to clean his poop out of his litter box, and yet, I love this cat. Bob and I look forward to coming home and seeing Springfield. Bob is less patient than I am with him, but they also have great bonding sessions, where Springfield lies on Bob's chest and lets Bob rub him down until they both fall asleep. Springfield and I usually share the early morning shift. He cries like a baby about 6 every morning and scratches on the bathroom door until I go get him out. He then jumps up on my lap and eats from my hands. While he's never slept in my arms, he will sleep at my feet when I take a nap.

Springfield has added a new dimension to the relationship between Bob and me. He is something we share. In loving him, we love each other more. Springfield has only been to the vet once so far. Bob and I took him together. I don't know how I would have done it alone. It was nice having Bob there as our "child" was examined.

It's kinda like being a mother to a baby or young child again. We enjoy watching Springfield sleep, and eat, and play on his own and play "peep-pie" with us. He responds when I call him "my kitty" in my kitty voice (which Bob HATES).

Animals aren't so different from people after all. Creatures of all kinds flourish when they are loved.

No comments: