Monday, January 01, 2007

It's 2007

Time - the early hours of 2007. I decided to start the year blogging. Bob is asleep. The cat is asleep. It is still and quiet.

It's been a quiet evening at home. Bob and I went to Goodwill and Eckerds and then storage to put up Christmas items after watching the Titans lose their game. We ate dinner at Cracker Barrel, drove around the McKays Mills area awhile, and got home relatively early, even though the real time - 6 pm - felt like 8 pm.

I wonder if the way I spent the evening is indicative of the way 2007 will go. Hopefully I just closed out 2006. As Bob got out of the car at the house, he apparently stepped in dog poop. That fact was discovered after he walked into the bedroom, hall, living room, and finally kitchen, where I pointed out the "piles" he was leaving. (And need I say that I reminded him of how I always tell him to take his shoes off when he comes in from outside?!?!) I then spent the evening in my pajamas cleaning the carpet, moving the big fan around so the carpet would dry faster, and vacuuming. The cat did not know WHAT to do or where to go. And Bob being the helper he is at these times, was on the sofa in the sunroom, watching the football game! He fell asleep, waking in time to say "Happy New Year" and then going to bed in the bedroom. I celebrated by pouring me a glass of white zin, and ... here I am.

As the countdown of the last minute of 2006 began on Channel 4 (couldn't handle trying to watch Dick Clark this year), I found myself excited, and yet I wanted to cry all at the same time!?! I wasn't sorry to see 2006 go...but I am not sure I am glad to see 2007 come. I find the beginning of a brand new year kind of exciting, but it also makes me a little nervous worrying what bad things might happen. (I still think I would like to know these things ahead of time. I could prepare myself. Couldn't I? I'd like to at least know if it is going to be a good year or a bad year.) It will hold the closing of some familial chapters of life and open some new ones. Two nephews graduating from high school and starting college, and one nephew getting married.

I feel old tonight. But it is okay. I remember past New Year's Eves when we went out to celebrate. And even if we were home, we were more energetic. Every year now, it gets a little quieter, and less important to see the new year in.

A friend of mine emailed me the following from a devotional reading for the day. I liked it and will close with it:
Even to your old age, I am He, and even to gray hairs I will carry you! I have made and I will bear; even I will carry and will deliver you. (Psalm 46:4)
Thus far the LORD has helped us. (1 Samuel 7:12)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dog poop...gross. Happy new Year!