Sunday, February 25, 2007

Miss Me, But Let Me Go

I seem to write on the saddest of occasions and the happiest of things...

Two weeks ago, Bob and I had 3 people in our lives who died in 3 days' time. The first was a friend's dad who tried to outrun a train - he didn't make it. The third one was Bob's aunt who lived in NC and was 2 years younger than Bob! She was Bob's dad's youngest sister. The following was read at both of their funerals. I had never heard it before, but when you hear of something like this on 2 occasions in 3 days' time, you tend to pay attention.

"When I come to the end of the road, and the sun has set for me,
I want no rites in a gloom-filled room. Why cry for a soul set free?
Miss me a little - but not too long, and not with your head bowed low.
Remember the love that we shared. Miss me, but let me go.

For this is a journey we all must take and each must go alone.
It is all a part of the Master's plan, a step on the road to home.
When you are lonely and sick of heart, go to the friends you know.
Bear your sorrow in good deeds. Miss me, but let me go."

I would give the credits due, but none were given on either occasion.

I liked this poetry. For those of you who should, take note.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that's beautiful.