Sunday, August 06, 2006

Joys in Life

You know they say that money can't buy everything. That's true, but I would also say that you have to have ENOUGH money to live.

The older I get, the more I find joys in life. They have nothing to do with money or success or climbing a corporate ladder. I think it has to do with the fact that my big goals have been reached. I have a husband, I have children, I have a college degree, and I have a job I love. At this moment in time, I have my health...at least most of it! :) I don't feel a rush to achieve. I find myself content in the state I am in. (Not to say that I won't go back to school at some point to get that Master's degree...!*!)

I love this time of year... I don't know if it is because my birthday is at the end of August, or because school is about to start, and I always loved school, or because fall is near, and my grandmother used to take me to get new clothes every year for my birthday/school...and I have many happy memories of those days. As I write, my husband is watching a football game LIVE on TV! While it is a little hotter and more humid than I like outside, I still love it. And there is about half a moon in the sky playing peek-a-boo in the clouds. The moon this time of year is beginning to take on the "harvest" glow, rather than the crisp white color.

Ten years ago, I would have said that the best thing in life is to wake up in the middle of the night, and find a husband you love and who loves you, there beside you. Now that he snores, okay...now that we BOTH snore, sometimes that is not always a good thing!

And so, the whole point of this blog...it just doesn't get any better than having your 4 1/2 yr old grandson come running when he sees you. Luke has done that for awhile now. At least a couple of years. It happened again yesterday. I went to watch his older sister play a soccer game. As I got to the fields, I saw Luke and his mom coming down the path from the bathrooms! Luke caught sight of me, started waving wildly, and ran as fast as his little legs would carry him toward me...even stopping along the way to take his sandals off so he could run faster. I admit I have to brace myself, because as he comes close, he jumps up in my arms... My middle-aged back, and my carpal tunnel surgically-fixed wrists don't want to support the sudden extra weight, but I wouldn't trade those short moments in time for ANYTHING in the world. I don't remember his sisters doing that at that age. It's a uniquely Luke thing, I think. A special bond between us...Treasured memories...precious times...I hope my mind stays intact so that I can recall these moments, when I need special pick-me-ups in my old age...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

MASTER'S DEGREE......!??!!?!??!?!
Well, Matthew and David are going to the baccaleureate this time.